Skip to main content

Week 2



Week 2:
  • Reflecting on week 1 and first day back for week 2, I feel a sense of conflict between my expectations and the reality of where the students are at.
  • I also feel a sense of confusion at having so many ideas for what I hope the students will enjoy and engage with that I have difficulty knowing where to start or what to start with.
  • Today I felt as though the biggest issue i have is encouraging or teaching students to think critically and to reflect on their effort - to get them to want to push themselves to improve and be better. It is part of our Growth Mindset approach to learning and development as people.
  • I am not sure if we are getting this right in terms of how we deliver the message to our students. I’m thinking something like “Solo Taxonomy” ties into the Growth Mindset focus and perhaps we have to spend more time unpacking this.
  • When things are not going well I find I fall into a thought process that goes something like this. Start to question students willingness to participate and engage - then look at the students and question what they are capable of - then question myself, “What am i doing wrong, what am i missing?”
  • 55 students - two permanent adults in the space - years 6-8 - massive difference in all kinds of abilities - it is intense!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How is your school addressing the needs and aspirations of its community?

How is your school addressing the needs and aspirations of its community? In the last few years I have been fortunate enough to have been the recipient of several research grants. As part of this I have read many education and social research articles both international and national. This has allowed me to be aware of, and follow many international and national trends in education. It has also meant that I have been exposed to many different perspectives of what education could look like as we attempt to navigate the uncertainty that surrounds the future needs of our ākonga.  There are many organisations that have discussed and provided evidence to help us recognise the need for change and the tools to implement them. Organisations such as the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) provide The Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) study, which governments use to help them measure the effectiveness of their education systems for preparing student

What can we learn about community from our students?

This was my first real experience of asking a deep question and using research to explore it. It was a fantastic opportunity and one that has created a burning desire to question our why and to provide students with a platform to have their voice heard

Michael Fullan: Technology, the new pedagogy and flipped teaching