Skip to main content

uLearn2015

stevemouldey.wordpress.com


As you would expect, reflecting on uLearn2015 requires you to try and absorb so much. Fabulous Keynote speakers, a plethora of workshops and presentations and of course, the wonderful connections we make and re-establish. However, the lasting impression I leave with is the reaffirming of the importance that community plays in the success and direction of our schools. This was brought home to me like a slap in the face today when I went to my school to do some prep work before tomorrow. Vandalism... This was not the first time I have seen this over the last two weeks of the holidays, but it did highlight to me the disconnect between some in our community and our school. It saddened me to think that there are people in our small community that could destroy so much of that which belongs to our students. It also highlighted for me he need to engage with the problem that I face each day and that is the disconnect that many of my students bring from the community through my doors to the classroom. It has made me wonder what I can do as a teacher, as a human being and member of the community to transform my classroom environment into a space that can help my students question what community means to them and what they can do to build and sustain one within our classroom, school and wider community. The importance of community is what I’ll be focussing my inquiry on this year. So watch this space.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How is your school addressing the needs and aspirations of its community?

How is your school addressing the needs and aspirations of its community? In the last few years I have been fortunate enough to have been the recipient of several research grants. As part of this I have read many education and social research articles both international and national. This has allowed me to be aware of, and follow many international and national trends in education. It has also meant that I have been exposed to many different perspectives of what education could look like as we attempt to navigate the uncertainty that surrounds the future needs of our ākonga.  There are many organisations that have discussed and provided evidence to help us recognise the need for change and the tools to implement them. Organisations such as the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) provide The Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) study, which governments use to help them measure the effectiveness of their education systems for preparing student

Learning is messy

I find myself somewhat frustrated with the environment that we are expected to work in. Being a data driven industry I feel torn between being an innovative, future focused educator that focuses on individualised learning experiences for my students and on the other hand having the pressure of National Standards reporting hovering over my shoulder. Last year I achieved some wonderful results with my students. I managed to provide opportunities for students to taste success; students who had spent most of their school years feeling inadequate and incapable of achieving well in standardised tests. Many of my students still failed to score well in standardised tests. However, they managed to succeed in areas that are hard to measure. I saw many students self-esteem improve because they managed to complete a project for the first time on a topic of their choice and one which they were engaged with. They began to see themselves as experts in a niche area. They began to recognise themselv

What can we learn about community from our students?

This was my first real experience of asking a deep question and using research to explore it. It was a fantastic opportunity and one that has created a burning desire to question our why and to provide students with a platform to have their voice heard